(Okay, maybe a touch “more” than sometimes)…
The holidays are upon us, and every mom pretty much knows what THAT means! C-H-A-O-S and S-T-R-E-S-S. Stress of planning that perfect Thanksgiving meal, which also includes buying the ingredients for your 8 (thousand) recipes, WITH the kids, at a WALMART, then putting away the 52 bags of groceries, all while the kids are complaining “I’m huuuuuungry!”
In the midst of stocking my fridge and pantry, I take a long sigh, count to 10, and take one look around the disaster happening in my kitchen. And then there it was…blowing me soft kisses from the corner of my kitchen counter, what seemed like a mile away. The glimpse of her voluptuous curves and long, slender neck blocked out every sound of every person ripping through my house. There she was saying, “You neeeeed me. I will make you haaaaappy.” My beautiful bottle of 2008 Davis Family Vinyards Pinot Noir was sending me telepathic messages from across the room!
Here’s my short list of reasons why moms need to keep a friend like mine on hand:
1. Holiday preparation (see above)
2. Wine Time = Adult Time | Adult Time = Pretty Freakin’ Awesome | Period.
3. Wine calms me down, shuts me up, and helps me sleep like a baby through the night. Wine = my version of a BINKY! (Sometimes I just wish it could be THEIR version of a binky too.)
4. Remember when I briefly told you I counted to 10 when I was about to lose my temper? Well, it takes me about 8 of those seconds to open a bottle of wine, so by the time I’m finished counting… well, YOU know.
5. Runny noses, runny poop, butt-wiping, and homework are part of our job. Don’t you think we deserve to be rewarded for going the extra mile?
6. Referring back to my intro, we pretty much deal with “the whining” all day. And the only way to chill out after living through “the whining” is to pour a glass of “wine.” Hey! I think those two versions of the word relate for a reason. Don’t you?
7. Sucking back wine stops me from talking for a few seconds and having to say, “No!” “Please stop!” It miraculously silences the “Up!”, “Mommy come here!”, “Mooooooooommmmmy!”, “I’m hungry!”, “Can I have a sucker?”, “I have to go potty!” It gives my poor kid (well okay, me) a break. (Remember when I mentioned that “Wine Time = Adult Time”? There ARE exceptions to the rule.
8. Downing a glass (or two)….(or three) of wine before the “bread-winner” gets home makes the whole “world’s best wife” thing so much easier to accept! (Kiss kiss) “So, how was your day, love?” (sip, sip) “Take a load off; you’ve had a long day.” (sip, gulp) “Relax a little while I go make dinner.” (gulp, guzzle) – Oh wait! Dinner’s done! (No need to tell him so soon! The bottle is in the kitchen! Shhh!) (pour, pour, sip, gulp).
9. Wine gives me something to look forward to when I’ve had “a day.” Just like coffee does in the morning to prepare me for such a “day.” No judging! I know you secretly feel the same way…
10. Who doesn’t love wine? I mean, REALLY…
* You can get your 2008 Pinot Noir, Davis Family Vineyards wine through me! Showcasing the fertile terroir of the Russian River Valley and* the supreme artistry of iconic winemaker Guy Davis, this award-winning, estate-grown Pinot Noir unfolds with creamy layers of lush blackberries, plump boysenberries and dark hazelnut spices. ($43.00) http://www.raynelynne.com/vino-virtuoso-wine-portfolio/